Arc Flash & Electrical Safety News

Blog Author Steve Hudgik

Thursday, April 10, 2008

University Employees Injured By Arc Flash

The Texas Christian University Daily Skiff (the student newspaper) reports in today's edition that two university employees were injured by an arc flash. The article reports that:

"Two physical plant employees were injured Wednesday morning in an electrical accident in the basement of Tandy Hall, university officials said."

"One employee who suffered injuries to his eyes and forearm was still in the hospital late Wednesday, and the other, who injured his knee while moving to avoid the shock, was treated and released, said Tracy Syler-Jones, associate vice chancellor for marketing and communication."

There had been a power outage and the two employees were working to start a backup generator. This incident should make us aware that we must always be alert to the possibility of an arc flash when working with electrical equipment. My guess is that the two workers who were injured never even considered the possibility of an arc flash. Training, proper labeling, and the use of PPE are three pillars that can not be ignored or forgotten.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Steve Hudgik | This Arc Flash Post and 0 Comments |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home



Call about the NFPA 7E labeling machines

NFPA 70E Blog  |  Arc Flash Labels  |  Arc Flash Label Printers
DuraLabel Supplies  |  Arc Flash Quiz


FAST shipping of Arc Flash Label Printers & Supplies.
Most orders ship the SAME DAY we receive your order.