Arc Flash & Electrical Safety News

Blog Author Steve Hudgik

Monday, August 06, 2007

Donnie's Accident

I stumbled on this video, showing the effects of an arc flash accident, on YouTube today.

This is an emotionally powerful video that shows how a workplace accident impacts more than the workplace. You can visit Donnie's web site using this link: Donnie's Accident.

Labels: ,

posted by Steve Hudgik | This Arc Flash Post and 15 Comments |


At 8:41 PM, Blogger Safety101 said...

It is a tragic incident and I'm glad to see his is still alive. I to have a freind who survived being shocked by 69,000 volts and lives to tell his inspirational story without an arm and leg with burns to 70% of his body. His name is Vaughn Webb and he now does motivational speaking to help prevent this from happening to anyone else. His web site is at and he resides in Alberta, Canada.

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous dave osbon said...

Very tragic accident. I actually wonder if I have met Donnie along the way. I noted a skydiving picture in the video. I have 3700 skydives.

Anyway, I am hosting a workshop at the National VPPPA conference in Washington next week. We will be talking about Flame Resistant fabric technology to prevent this very thing

I want to use this video. Is there any reason I CANNOT use this video.

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Steve Hudgik said...

I do not believe there is any reason why this video can not be used. It is from YouTube and those videos are public domain. It includes the YouTube logo, so they will get proper credit.

If you give credit to my blog I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Steve Hudgik said...

BTW, I also have a VPP/safety blog that is associated with the Safe Workplace web site.

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An amazing video. It really shows how our actions at work affect more than just our work. Everyone working with electricity should see this video.

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, I cannot see the video, but would really like to for an arc flash presentation I am putting together. Do not know why it will not play, and our company won't allow me to look on youtube. Thanks, Gus

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Steve Hudgik said...

Although it appears on the blog, it is still coming from YouTube. So if you are blocked from viewing YouTube, that is what is blocking you from seeing the video on the blog.

There is software available that will allow you to capture YouTube videos and save them on your hard drive. You can then play them directly from your hard drive. Of course, you'd need to do this at home because the software will be blocked from accessing YouTube at work. I've not done this myself, so I don't know how well it works.

Perhaps your System Administrator or IT Department where you work would capture it for you.

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding video. I'll have all my staff look at this. It drives home the importance of safety to everyone.

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF, what's with the stupid music?
Anyway, where was this guys PPE? Was it a 480 panel? Why was he working alone? Where was his "HOT" suit? What the hell kind of organization does he work for? He suffered the brunt, but what about the contractor... or, was he the contractor?

Safety first in all hot panels!!!

At 9:19 AM, Blogger David H. Senft said...

As a General Foreman I could only imagine one of my men being in that hospital bed. We all tend to make the statement 'Safety First' but silently we are driven by the schedule and costs.

We cannot continue with that mindset any longer. Safety is more than costs, it is about caring. Care for your crew, provide them the tools and the permission to use them. I believe that success will be even greater with this attitude upfront.

Thank you for getting through to me.

David Senft
IBEW Local 595
General Foreman
Blocka Construction Inc.

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Janna said...

Does anyone have information regarding this accident - such as what voltage was involved or the scenario that caused the arc flash? This is for training purposes.

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Hello! My name is Donnie Johnson. My wife and I made a video a few years ago called "Donnie's Accident". I have a new website. I have had numerous requests on You Tube and other sites for copies of my video from safety directors. They use it for their safety programs. So I made a website! I use the video during my 'work safety' presentations when I speak at events, businesses and organizations. You can watch or download the video and read the full story of my 'experience' here. I’m not charging anything; this site is meant to help promote safety awareness by sharing my experience before during and after an electrical "Arc Blast" accident as well as reminding us what can happen if we don’t follow our safety procedures. Please feel free to share the link.

You can contact me at:
or the “Comments or Questions” box on the website.

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Tom Giardino said...


I hope you are doing well! I have been a Technician for many years and have had arc flash training many times. It did not hit home until the company that I work for now, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, here in Vermont, played your video, during a training class. I have noticed an increased awareness in electrical safety in our plant by our techs. I want to believe that it has something to do, directly, with your video. I want to thank you and your family for sharing your story with the world!! Take care!
Tom Giardino

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Mike Miller said...

Right on brother. We need to slow down when it comes to situations like this. How many times have we become complacent n melted a screwdriver. Know what I mean?

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Mike Miller said...

Listen to his story before u make judgments.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Call about the NFPA 7E labeling machines

NFPA 70E Blog  |  Arc Flash Labels  |  Arc Flash Label Printers
DuraLabel Supplies  |  Arc Flash Quiz

FAST shipping of Arc Flash Label Printers & Supplies.
Most orders ship the SAME DAY we receive your order.