Arc Flash & Electrical Safety News
Blog Author Steve Hudgik
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Protecting Against Arc Flash HazardsThe January 2007 issue of Occupational Hazards magazine includes an article by Sandy Smith that looks at what went wrong in an arc flash fatality. The article opens by pointing out:
"In 2005, 250 workers died as a result of coming into contact with an electrical current, often the result of arc flash occurring from equipment that was not de-energized before repair or maintenance work began."
What happened was a lineman, who "was part a three-man crew involved in replacing cables under a switch cabinet" was working within the 24 inch hot zone near a 17,400 volt switch, but he was not wearing his insulated hard hat. His head can too close to the energized switch and there was an arc flash.
The article lists the results of the NIOSH investigation and makes recommendations for preventing this type of fatality.
Labels: Arc Flash Accidents
posted by Steve Hudgik | This Arc Flash Post and 0 Comments |